20 Aretha Franklin Quotes to Help You Go On
Aretha Franklin is an icon. The Queen of Soul has made hit songs that everyone cherishes and loves and her classics still remain relevant to this very day. In honor of her legacy and in hopes of good will, here are 20 quotes by one of the most immensely kind and inspirational human beings the world has ever seen.
1. "Every birthday is a gift. Every day is a gift."
2. "We all require and want respect, man or woman, black or white. It's our basic human right."
3. "Sometimes, what you're looking for is already there."
4. "Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It's transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, years back, to the very moment certain things happened in your life. It's uplifting, it's encouraging, it's strengthening."
5. "We didn't have music videos. You weren't an overnight sensation. You had to work at it and learn your craft: how to take care of your voice, how to pace your concerts, all that trial and error."
6. "You cannot define a person on just one thing. You can't just forget all these wonderful and good things that a person has done because one thing didn't come off the way you thought it should come off."
7. "When God loves you, what can be better than that?"
8. "Falling out of love is like losing weight. It's a lot easier putting it on than taking it off."
9. "Being the Queen is not all about singing, and being a diva is not all about singing. It has much to do with your service to people. And your social contributions to your community and your civic contributions as well."
10. "Who hasn't had a weight issue? If not the body, certainly the big head!"
11. "Music changes, and I'm gonna change right along with it."
12. "People really don't have to give you anything, so appreciate what people give you."
13. "Women absolutely deserve respect."
14. "If a song's about something I've experienced or that could've happened to me it's good. But if it's alien to me, I couldn't lend anything to it. Because that's what soul is all about."
15. "It really is an honor if I can be inspirational to a younger singer or person. It means I've done my job."
16. "It's very satisfying. To perform the way you want to. And the way you know that you can."
17. "I sing to the realists, people who accept it like it is. I express problems. There are tears when it's sad and smiles when it's happy. It seems simple to me, but for some people, I guess feelin' takes courage."
18. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me."
19. "Trying to grow up is hurting. You make mistakes. You try to learn from them, and when you don't, it hurts even more."
20. "As a parent you try to maintain a certain amount of control and so you have this tug-of-war ... You have to learn when to let go. And that's not easy."
Featured Image Via Wbal- Tv