10 Quotes for You Job Hunters Wondering What It's All For
Whether you’re currently unemployed, underemployed, or just generally miserable because of your miserable boss, you’re probably looking for a new job. To an outsider, getting a job might sound simple. It’s not, especially in the digital age.
Job hunting becomes a way of life. Indeed.com becomes your new home, Monster.com is the bar you hang out in, and Craigslist.com is your weird friend-of-a-friend Derrick’s house where you sometimes watch To Catch a Predator. Not only is job hunting your new life, it’s not a happy life.
I hear you, and so do the writers of old. They have words to warm your insides when you have nothing to eat but room temperature pizza crusts. Here are ten uplifting quotes to make you feel a bit better about this horrible predicament you’ve found yourself in.
1. “There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.” - J. R. R. Tolkien
2. “Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.” - Margaret Mitchell
3. “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.” - Alexander Pope
4. “If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.” - Terry Pratchett
5. “Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.” - J. M. Barrie
6. “I tell my students, 'When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else. This is not just a grab-bag candy game.’” - Toni Morrison
7. “ You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” - A. A. Milne
8. “Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “He that can have patience can have what he will.” - Benjamin Franklin
10. “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” - Karen Lamb
Off you go to your dream job!
Good luck... | via GIPHY
Feature Image Via NPR